John H. Smyth Scholarship Fund – Updates
Interesting highlights from past years and our plans for 2015…
Our plans for 2015 are as follows:
- We will announce the pre-game time in advance so folks are able to witness the first pitch.
- Our marketing and social media program will be improved so we sell more Phillies tickets.
- DRAFT slogan – "If you are planning to attend just one Phillies game this year, please make it our "Night at the Phillies" event." BTW – We welcome ideas!
- Add a website page with all the group sponsors, company logos, etc.
Our 2014 Highlights in Review
- Support for our 6th annual “Night at the Phillies” fundraiser included 500 tickets sold and we were again overwhelmed with the amount of generous donations received.
- The Phillies game itself was a highlight with great attendance, beautiful weather and the Phillies defeating the NY Mets 6-5 in the 14th inning on Friday, May 30th.
- Our first pitch recipient was Jules Paoletti. Jules received press from Inside Dentistry which released the following, Inside Dentistry: Henry Schein, Inc. Throws First Pitch at Major League Baseball Game
- Phillies Dan Baker read the following to honor Ms. Neff pre-game during first pitch, "The John H. Smyth Scholarship Fund also wishes Marjorie Neff, Principal of Julia R. Masterman Laboratory and Demonstration School, well in her retirement."
- This was our first Friday night game event and the Phillies featured the “Comcast Be a Phanatic about Reading Night” which included a Phanatic Children’s Book for children 14 and under.
- The Masterman School Foundation was designated by Phillies Charities, Inc. as one of the 50/50 drawing winners!
- The 9th annual scholarship was awarded to a very deserving Masterman student, Jessica Janczewski.
- Electronic newsletters were only sent to keep you current, not to further clutter your inbox.
- Website improvements continued as we added a mobile viewing feature.
- The website now contains additional Citizens Bank Park “Frequently Asked Questions” and a streaming news feed from the Phillies Nation.
Our 2013 Highlights in Review
- We successfully launched a new website to provide a solid overview of the JHS Scholarship Fund.
- Support for our 5th annual “Night at the Phillies” fundraiser included over 670 tickets sold and we were overwhelmed with the amount of generous donations received.
- The Phillies game itself was a highlight with great attendance, beautiful weather and the Phillies solidly defeating the Marlins 7-2 on Thursday, May 2nd.
- Our first pitch recipient was Stephen Shutt, J. R. Masterman's chess coach. Masterman's middle school chess team won the 2013 National Scholastic Chess Competition, beating over 5,000 competitors from 49 states. Steve was escorted onto the field by the "magnificent" seven, the students who made up this winning team! Mr. Shutt has close ties to the JHS Scholarship Fund. He was both Johnny's and Julian’s chess coach!
- The 8th annual scholarship was awarded to a very deserving Masterman student, Harry Taggart.
- We reduced Fund costs by discontinuing the use of several internet domain names previously purchased and converting our eNewsletter to Mail Chimp.